As we begin thinking about personal resolutions for the new year, we might also want to think about resolutions we might need to make as a piano teacher. The Clavier Companion blog is featuring an article I recently wrote for them entitled, “Are You a Workaholic Piano Teacher?” If you are like me, you probably immediately answer, “No!” to this question. But, take a moment to ask yourself these questions:
- Do you frequently find yourself thinking about piano related things on the days you are not teaching?
- Do you teach more than 5 days a week?
- Do you have any large blocks of time during the week in which you are not thinking of music related matters?
- Do you have any free evenings when you can go out with friends who are not self-employed?
- Does your family complain that you work too much?
If any of your answers to these questions seem suspicious, take a moment to read “Are You a Workaholic Piano Teacher?” over on the Clavier Companion blog. Included are a few suggestions to help each of us be less tied to working and more tied to connecting with others and living a balanced and meaningful life.